Saturday 5 February 2011

Art Quotes

Okay I was in need of a bit of artistic inspiration this week, so naturally I resorted to browsing through the creative works posted on the internet. Then I decided to see what some of the most creative people ever had to say about art. I thought I'd share some of the inspiring quotes I found.


  • Whether I'm painting or not, I have this overweening interest in humanity. Even if I'm not working, I'm still analyzing people. Alice Neel 
  • All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness.  Eckhart Tolle
  • I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious. Andrew Wyeth
  • There's no retirement for an artist, it's your way of living so there's no end to it. Henry Moore
  • The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection. Michelangelo
  • A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession. Albert Camus 
  • A picture is a poem without words. Horace 
  • A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament. Oscar Wilde 
  • An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. Charles Horton Cooley 
  • An artist is a dreamer consenting to dream of the actual world. George Santayana 
  • Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. Thomas Merton
  • Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. Andre Gide 
  • Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating. It is either good or bad. Salvador Dali 
  • Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures. Henry Ward Beecher 
  • Great art picks up where nature ends. Marc Chagall
  • In art as in love, instinct is enough. Anatole France 
  • Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes.  Art is knowing which ones to keep. ~Scott Adams
  • Every child is an artist.  The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. ~Pablo Picasso
  • Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one. ~Stella Adler
  • Anyone who says you can't see a thought simply doesn't know art. ~Wynetka Ann Reynolds
  • When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work.  I told her I worked at the college - that my job was to teach people how to draw.  She stared at me, incredulous, and said, "You mean they forget?" ~Howard Ikemoto
  • Let me ask you something, what is not art? ~Author Unknown
  • Man will begin to recover the moment he takes art as seriously as physics, chemistry or money. ~Ernst Levy
  • Art is when you hear a knocking from your soul - and you answer. ~Terri Guillemets
  • Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue.  Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they really are or people might think we're stupid. ~Jules Feiffer

No comments:

Post a Comment